Gambling movies are always great fun, and you definitely can’t go wrong with the titles above. From the gruesome violence in Casino Royale to the light-hearted tricks of Maverick, there are gambling movies for every taste. It’s even possible to learn a thing or two about poker if you pay enough attention.
- Casino (1995) – Casino is a crime drama movie directed by Martin Scorsese and released in 1995. It is based on the true story of the rise and fall of the Las Vegas mafia during the 1970s and 1980s. The movie stars Robert De Niro as Sam “Ace” Rothstein, a Jewish-American gambling expert who is tasked with running the Tangiers casino in Las Vegas.
The movie also stars Joe Pesci as Nicky Santoro, a violent and unpredictable mob enforcer who becomes Ace’s best friend, and Sharon Stone as Ginger McKenna, Ace’s former prostitute wife who struggles with addiction and has a volatile relationship with Ace.
The movie follows Ace as he tries to run the Tangiers casino with integrity, but is constantly undermined by the corrupt and violent nature of the mafia. The film is full of tension, violence, and drama, as Ace navigates the dangerous world of organized crime in Las Vegas.
Casino was critically acclaimed for its performances, particularly that of Robert De Niro and Sharon Stone, and for its realistic depiction of the criminal underworld in Las Vegas. The movie was also praised for its soundtrack, which features classic songs from the 1960s and 1970s. It has since become a classic in the crime drama genre and is considered one of Martin Scorsese’s best films.
- Rounders (1998) – This movie stars Matt Damon as a law student who pays his tuition by playing high-stakes poker. When he loses all his money to a Russian gangster, he has to team up with his old friend (played by Edward Norton) to win it back. The movie features some great poker scenes and has become a cult classic among poker players.
- Ocean’s Eleven (2001) – This heist movie stars an all-star cast including George Clooney, Brad Pitt, and Julia Roberts. The plot centers around Danny Ocean (Clooney) and his team of con artists who plan to rob three of the biggest casinos in Las Vegas. The movie is stylish, funny, and full of twists and turns.
- The Sting (1973) – This classic movie stars Paul Newman and Robert Redford as two con men who team up to pull off a complex scam on a wealthy gangster. The movie is set in the 1930s and features some great period costumes and music. The plot is intricate and keeps you guessing until the end.
- 21 (2008) – This movie is based on the true story of a group of MIT students who use their math skills to win millions of dollars at blackjack. The movie stars Jim Sturgess as the leader of the group and Kevin Spacey as their unscrupulous mentor. The movie is suspenseful and entertaining, and will have you on the edge of your seat until the end.