As far as the poker world is concerned, the 2015 calendar year has come to a close. InPokerNews tradition, our staff has scrolled through the archives and gone over the most compelling stories of the year to determine what we feel are the top 10 of the year. Our list was generated based upon a vote from staff members and audience feedback. Over the next 10 days, we’ll count down what we believe are the biggest and most interesting stories from 2015.
Coming in at No. 7 on this year’s list is the return of “The Banker” to Las Vegas.
Andy Beal Returns To Bellagio To Take On Brunson
In late January, news spread like wildfire that Andy Beal, the subject of Michael Craig’s classic book The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King: Inside the Richest Poker Game of All Time, had returned to Bobby’s Room inside Bellagio and was engaged in a massive $50,000/$100,000 limit hold’em match against Todd Brunson, who was railed by his father, the legendary Doyle Brunson.
According to poker pro Kyle Loman, who was live tweeting the match while playing in a different game outside the high-stakes room, both Beal and Brunson bought in for $5 million each.
Here are some updates Loman tweeted during the match, which captured the attention of the entire poker world:
- “There was almost 20 people in the room at the start of the game. Down to pretty much just Doyle watching now.
- “Doyle went to bed it appears. The battle continues though”
- “Todd continuing to win. Got about 8 million to Beal’s 2.”
- “Beal with a solid heater. Todd: 5.5 Beal 4.5”
- “Todd Building towers. Looks about the same. His demeanor is the same as always. Sitting backward in the chair, his emotions unchanged.”
- “Todd: 7 Beal: 3. There’s only 3 people in Bobby’s Room now. Todd, Beal, and the dealer.”
- “Brunson crushing now. Has 8.5m+ to Beal’s less than 1.5m”
- “Todd just felted Beal. They fist bumped and he left the room. They’re done for tonight. Todd wins 5 million. More updates tomorrow hopefully.” Read More